Going home has always been a much awaited occasion and coming back is indeed the most despised one. This is what happened to me 2 weeks back. I had to mentally prepare myself for a long tiresome journey ahead ; and coax & convince my stubborn mind of a “wonderful future” beckoning me from a not-so-far-away-land.

The big deal is not the long train journey. It infact can be quite interesting with the teaming crowd of people, booksellers, little kids singing & collecting what is their daily bread, vendors shrieking ”chai chai” . And if your fellow passengers are real specimens of character, you have all the more fun.

Now the real problem was , I reached my destination even before the sun god arose. It was pitch dark . Outside the station there are those autowallas, waiting there ,ready to pounce on their prey. I got into one auto. Travelling in auto alone through the half lit streets, even if it’s a so-called metropolitan city is great adventure. I looked at the autowalla. Now he really looks suspicious. His eyes looked disoriented, through the mirror & I mentally calculated he must be a drug addict. Though I never admitted, I’ve always had this “acute chronic suspicion syndrome” . All those forwarded emails depicting how people have been robbed , snatched , abused & murdered , surfaced my mind. Thanks to those well wisher friends who forwarded all these. Now my mind is total pandemonium of unfathomed doubts & fears. Wish I had obliged to my friend who once cajoled me to buy pepper spray. Mentally cursed my parents who never gave me training in martial arts for self defense.

Butterflies fluttered wildly in my stomach, till I reached my hostel. Now they always keep the big iron gates locked. I stood outside patiently , after buzzing the bell exactly once .Now if you ring more than once , the maid will turn wild & frenzy and decide to give you a piece of her mind via a verbal volley of unintelligible shouting in Tamil.

My patience is wearing off. The little doggie “Tommy” is apparently the only one happy to see me . It’s prancing & dancing around the grill whining. Now I can’t understand the over zeal & enthusiasm. Soon I heard a fierce growl & glanced back to see a pack of street dogs surrounding me, obviously attracted by the little devil inside. Now I clearly don’t mind Tommy having romantic indulgences. But I don’t entertain the idea of jeopardizing myself amidst a pack of wild street dogs, at the break of dawn.

I thanked my good luck, when the maid turned up with half closed eyes to open the gates. I rushed inside & Tommy taking it as a wonderful opportunity to freedom raced out like bullet. The maid shouted at me in bewilderment & anger. I, tired after the journey & all mental trauma hardly cared. I marched off, leaving the maid to tend to Tommy, who obviously thought it was some sort of ‘catch-me-if-you-can’ game……!!!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said... 10:40 AM  

Good style .Expects more variety from u.
if u don' mind, just go for http://www.life-day1.blogspot.com/

happen to see your site in kerala blog roll when i was checking whether manoj had obliged to my request to add my blog to the list...

read your post... well felt like
leaving a comment ...it was a nice one.... hope your maid won in that ‘catch-me-if-you-can’ game...

and ha... do agree with your views about monday mornings... yarr... itz a universal syndrome.... esp with software guyz...

Binu Sudhakaran..

vivid descriptions roshni..that was good. hope travel is more pleasurable in the future :)

thanks for stopping by at Dog's Own Country blog. we are all teaming up to fight the dogs.

oh i just went through travel jitters myself.i landed home three days back and i was travelling alone too.and i am so scared of the way these autowalas behave but luckily for me i got over the whole thing soon and landed home safe..i hate the journey

@anonymous : thnx krishna..hope to put in more good stuff

@banished soul :hi..nice to see u here..u have 3 blogs..awesome!!!

@binu :welcome here..i guess atlast the dog got tired & decided it had enough...then it came in :-)).
hmm...i concluded it must be a universal syndrome frm the response i got

@mindcurry: thnx mindcurry..my whole hearted support to fight the dogs & build a real god's own country !!!

@maya:i guess, so many goes through same situation..wish u safe journeys ;-)

Contrary - I love journey's - Especially the one back home. Feeling the air of Kerala itself makes me breathe better. Sitting with the driver from Palakkad itself is wonderful, esp when whole crowd in bus sleeps. Trains are also cool :). But yes - Autowallahs and Dogs in Bangalore!! Dangerous! Completely agree

Followers