Ajith had tagged me to ponder on the world of books.And there is a slice of my life associated with each of the books.This is my first tag & here it goes...


1) One book that has changed my life

I never came across any drastic life altering books. But I remember reading ‘The Diary of Anne Frank’ when I was 13. The diary is 13 year old Anne’s account of her life , when forced to go into hiding during the World War 2 , at the time when Hitler started his anti Jewish decrees. The Jewish girl whose young dreams withered away in the ghastly Nazi concentration camp.


After her death, her diary was recovered by her father & published. I too wanted to be like Anne; bold, ambitious and a real life heroine. That was the time when I started writing diaries. In those swashbuckling teenage years, I day dreamt of being famous through my diaries..heehehee.. It is so funny now to even think of it , let alone read through the diary entries of those times. That year, I wrote a review of this book in my school magazine




2) One book that you have read more than once.

It’s the ‘Mahabharatha ’ stories. The intricate plots & human emotions depicted in it has always captured my imagination . My mother used to tell me stories of Krishna, when I was a kid .Once when I was hardly 3 years, she narrated me how Krishna as a child put sand into his mouth , and when his angry mother made him open his mouth she nearly fainted on seeing all the 3 worlds there. The very next day, I discreetly went & scrapped off some sand , managed to put a wholesome amount in my mouth & ran excitedly to my mother. My mother almost fainted seeing the stones , debris & a poor dead beetle there..That incident marked the death knell of the story telling sessions…


3) One book that you would want on a deserted Island

Maybe a copy of ‘Robinson Crusoe’ will guide me on how to survive in an uninhabited island, how to build a fire, make a tree house, hunt down beasts, collect wild berries & manage to stay alive fighting off any cannibal attacks

4) One book that made you laugh

I have not read many rib tickling books lately .The only humorous tales I read recently are the ones from ‘Tinkle Digest’

5) One book that made me cry

I cant think of any book that made me shed a few tears.. But there are some heart rending incidents in books like ‘Les Miserables’-Victor Hugo

6) One book you wish had been written
Compilation of the works of a Flaway Mind.. hehehee :)


7) One book you wish had not been written

The whole of M& B series!!!! I have always been tempted to read them at the wrong times.It always happened during my study holidays. Though I knew it’s all mushy & crap, I was never able to resist the temptation.. I think I outgrew those books now. I am no longer tempted by them, maybe because exams are not there any more :)

8) One book that you are currently reading

“Our Trees Still Grow in Dehra”- Ruskin Bond. I am a big time fan of Ruskin Bond. No other Indian writer has enchanted the world more. His stories spun around the Himalayan foothill, fascinate us with its simple, down to earth characters and the magical aura of Himalayan flora & fauna. His stories are closely interwoven with nature. The stories set against the backdrop of pine ,deodar trees, chirping of magpie robin , the gurgling streams & brooks set our imagination on wings

9) One book that you have been meaning to read

Catch 22 - Joseph Keller

I pass on this tag to Calvin, my buddy who recently ventured on a brand new blog.

16 comments:

annie frank had captured my imaginations long back; and she is the reason for my interest in international diplomacy. but in contrast to you, that diary made me drop off the habit of writing diary notes.

and eh, thanks for the tag.

Anne Frank's diary is something which I havnt read though i read a lot of history.. "M&B series "--- u mean Mills & Boon ? ..I tried reading one sometime back, but left it quickly..Maybe the romantic stuff is a bit weird for me to understand :)

robinson crusoe rocks :)

be careful wid catch 22. id gone mad if i had read it to the end

Anonymous said... 9:51 PM  

me in night shift...just dropped in to check if u have updated :P

chill...info stuff to read!! "mahabaratha" tragedy brought a smile to me worn face.remeber d night you were telling this is 201 n tummies rolling ?? hhmm....rest all was a justice lot that will help me drop into crosswords without expecting or waiting for you !!! :P


maneesha

Hi,

I am a Ruskin Bond fan too...maybe more than just a fan. I have read and re-read all that he's published. Oh, the fragrance of the Himalayan streams and the shade of apple trees...!
You could visit my blog at: http://krantidugar.blogspot.com/

Hi,

I am a Ruskin Bond fan too...maybe more than just a fan. I have read and re-read all that he's published. Oh, the fragrance of the Himalayan streams and the shade of apple trees...!
You could visit my blog at: http://krantidugar.blogspot.com/

@calvin: the diary makes us realise how even in adversity, people never give up their hopes & dreams and live their lives to the fullest

@ajith: it was written in the backdrop of WW2...and yes, its mills & boons.. these stuffs may become weird for u after reading all CAT materials ..alle :)))

@ajay: thnx for the warning..then,i should think twice before buying it i guess..i recently went almost mad reading "100 yrs of solitude.

@maneesha: i remember those story telling sessions..u are not allowed to visit crossword without me plzzzzzzzz...
hey.. btw,i read ur favorite"who moved my cheese"

@kranti: nice to meet a ruskin bond fan.. when i was in school, i used to read all ruskin bond tales , which used to come in young world.. its absolutely awesome!!!

Anonymous said... 11:01 PM  

oh yeah....i will grow old, get married and have countless kids,,,,still i will be waiting for you. happy ???
gggrrrrr...im waiting since sooooooooooo long!!! lets make it this time, once u r bck frm home.

hhmmm...who moved my cheese??(*confused*)u got it wrong i guess, im yet to complete that book. after "the present" this didnt interest me much!! anyways hw was it??? and i wanna give u this one more book of paulo coelho. i swear it not dragging like " the zahir"(*sigh*)

maneesha

check mine. just made one.

books.. books... books....
never knew tat u read so many books.. really...

hey ilike the template.
good colors!

Anonymous said... 1:06 AM  

the new template is nice !!! soothing, fragile and suitin to ur character.

maneesha

@preeti:heehee..u were busy during those days to know ,being 24/7 quickfixed to ur walkman

@maneesha:then it must be suchitra who told me abt that book..hmmm..another paulo cohelo..zzzzzzzzzz..i slept off:)

@i am:thnx..that was lot of hard work with boggling html coding..

Anne Frank! Its amazing how it changed the lives of so many of us who read it during our school days. Its been a heart touching narration. In fact, some of the real stories from world war that have been made into movies -like schindlers list, pianist etc capture the essence so well. But the movie 'Savior' about a soldier saving a baby during bosnian war is the best!

Robinson Crusoe! Daniel Defoe just created a wonderful work - i used to imagine myself to be in the island for a long time. Cast Away brot out many of my dreams in the shape of a movie.

This tag is just blasting! I would love to take this up sometime. You do read quite a lot! Wonderful! If you read malayalam - try to catch Adayalangal by Sethu - Awesome writing!

Anonymous said... 8:39 PM  

If you want a book that will make you laugh, read three men in a boat by jerome K jerome. Hilarious!

@popabhi: as i read somewhere, Anne Frank: THE MOST FAMOUS OF HITLER'S VICTIMS. very true indeed..as i see the diary has touched many a heart...i loved the "coral island" too..another one like robinson crusoe..do take up the tag...i was afraid of passing on this tag, since not everybody will like to be victims of book tag;)

@jp: thnx..i will try out that one.i think we had a chapter out of this to study in 9th standard

Followers